Kindergartens and schools play a vital role in the development and growth of social, linguistic, physical and academic skills, especially when children are in their formative years. A wholesome playing and learning environment helps instill societal values, enhance creativity while encouraging ambitions and goals. A good school will also provide the knowledge, skills, values and behaviors necessary to improve educational success and support the development of a national identity, as well as the establishment of a spirit of social responsibility.
Government institutions in Ras Al Khaimah and across the UAE are committed to providing free education to all citizens. Formal schooling is compulsory for all UAE nationals between the ages of six and twelve. Expatriate residents may also attend government schools, but as fee-paying students. Government schools and universities are gender-segregated, but several private institutions offer a co-educational environment. The academic year runs from September to June, except for the Indian and Pakistani curriculum schools, which start in April.
Age at Admission: 4 - 5 years old
Duration of Schooling: 6 years
Age at Admission: 6 to 12 years old
Duration of Schooling: 3 years
Age at Admission: 12 to 15 years old
Duration of Schooling: 3 years
Age at Admission: 15 to 18 years old
Certificate/Diploma: Secondary School Leaving Certificate (SSLC)
✓ Kindergarten: Emirati students and children of Emirati mothers holding a family book
✓ Public Schools from Grade 1 to Grade 12:
• UAE National students and children of Emirati mothers holding a family book
• Children of UAE passport holders
• GCC nationals
• Orphan students sponsored by a UAE national (because of father’s death), provided that the sponsor is the breadwinner
• Children of holders of Decrees issued by the President or Vice President of UAE
• Children of diplomatic employees
• Children of expatriates working in the UAE (as per the prescribed admission conditions)
Registration Process for new students
The parent needs to personally visit the school of choice to register his/her child. If a place is not available in the class/school, the parent must register the child on the waiting list. The student will be placed on the waiting list of the school so that the seats required will be provided, according to the residential area of the parent.
✓ Fill out the registration form and submit the required documents (at school)
✓ Finish the interview
✓ Fill out the Health Application Form
✓ Prepare the student’s file
✓ Fill out the student’s Enrolment Application Form
Certificates required for registering students from Grade 2 to Grade 12
• For admissions to Grade 2 up to Grade 10 – Passing Certificate of the previous year
• For admissions to Grade 11 and Grade 12 – Passing certificate of the previous two years
Expat Students - Public School Admission Conditions and Regulations
• The enrolled students should not exceed 20% of the total number of national students in each public school.
• Grade 1 applicants should pass the interview and admission test in Arabic, English and Math with an average grade of no less than 90%.
• Students applying for Grades 2 to 12 should have passed the previous year with an average of 85% or above in Arabic, English and Math and should have acquired a general average of 90%.
Private Schools in Ras Al Khaimah
Ras Al Khaimah is home to more than 25 private schools, all of which provide quality education to students across the Emirate, through the adoption of a variety of educational curricula in line with the highest international educational standards.
Private schools cater to students of different nationalities, and each school has its own terms with respect to tuition fees and the admission conditions and requirements.
Documents required to enroll your child in a private school:
✓ Enrolment application form with all the required documents
✓ Vaccination Card
✓ Student Passport Photos
✓ Medical Report
✓ Emirates ID (for citizens and expatriates)
✓ Valid Passport with valid Residency Visa (for expatriates) (Of student and parent)
✓ Birth Certificate
✓ A transfer certificate/report from the student’s previous school